My photo
Eugene, Oregon, United States
I believe my generation has the unique opportunity to save the world. If no action is taken, the world will see catastrophic climate change within the next half century, the cost of which will be measured in human lives. But at this pivotal moment, we have a window of opportunity. We can create the just, sustainable and prosperous future that we seek. I am a Vassar student spending my junior year at the University of Oregon, and I am going to Copenhagen this December to do everything I can to ensure that a mutual survival pact is agreed upon, not a suicide pact.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Day 1: Getting to know Copenhagen




Today got off to a late start (even though I was up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep!). I spent the morning waiting for Katherine to arrive, then trying to check in at the Bella Center (where COP15 is being held), but the SustainUS delegation has not been entered into the system yet we won't be able to check in until tomorrow or Sunday. After riding the metro back into the city center, some other members of the Sexual Health/Reproductive Health group, Kimberley, Mimi and I camped out at a cafe working on our media designs and policy statement for the Conference of Youth which starts tomorrow.


Being in Copenhagen certainly gives a different perspective about what is possible as far as living sustainable lives. It seems like sustainability is at the forefront of everyones' minds. I learned from my host Ebbe during breakfast this morning that Denmark levies an 100% tax on gasoline AND cars. No wonder there are so many bikes! I think this shows that market incentives really do make a difference - the Danish people ride their bikes everywhere and the city is incredibly bike-friendly. The United States really seems out of date when compared with the Scandanavian countries.







View from the back(/front) of the driverless metro - It doesn't seem like the sun ever breaks through this intense cloud cover!


Katherine and I at the Bella Center metro (brrrr.. its cold out here!)


Windmill near the Bella Center - my hosts Jette & Ebbe own a share of a windmill commensurate with their electricity use


Bella Center - soon over 60 world leaders will be gathering here!


Some cool apartments near the Bella Center


Tivoli! Can't wait to explore these pretty gardens.


Ferris wheel in downtown Copenhagen


Giant globe at the 'Hopenhagen' site - a square that has been transformed into a future city where people can see ways in which we can live in a sustainable world.  Sign the Hopenhagen climate petition and become a citizen of Hopenhagen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!